We have a more technical post for you this week to tell you all about affiliate programs! Amara’s resident Affiliate Manager Tasmin took some time away from her hectic schedule to tell us everything we need to know about affiliates, from what they are to how becoming one can greatly benefit your blog – take it away Tasmin!
What is an Affiliate?
In a nutshell, an affiliate or ‘publisher’ is any type of third-party website which drives sales through to an established advertiser or ‘merchant’. From this sale, the affiliate receives a percentage of commission as a reward from the advertiser. The sale is generated from any kind of link on the affiliate site that diverts traffic through to the advertiser’s site, such as a product link or even a brand banner.
What you need to know before becoming an Affiliate
Becoming an affiliate is a fantastic way of earning some extra money, with little costs, whilst running a blog or content site. Before you consider becoming an affiliate, it’s best to pick a particular niche to maximise your efforts. When we recruit affiliates for the Amara program, we look at different types of home & garden, decor, fashion, lifestyle, or any other sites that we think would appeal to our audience.
How it works
There are different payment structures for each individual affiliate program, however most operate via a CPA (Cost Per Amount) structure. This means that you will receive a commission from each sale that is generated from your blog or content site to an advertiser. The Amara Affiliate Program, for example, offers a financial reward of 10% standard commission for every order generated & an enhanced rate for select partners with proven performance.
The first step to becoming an affiliate is to join an affiliate network. These act as mediators between affiliates/publishers (you) & the advertisers/merchants (us). An affiliate network enables access to all of the technical work like tracking, product links, payments & reporting, as well as providing all of the tools you need to succeed as an affiliate. It also enables you to manage recruitment & apply for different advertiser affiliate programs.
As a blogger, you may want to shop around & take a look at a few different networks to find one that suits you. Most affiliate networks are completely free & are fairly straight forward to sign up for. At Amara, we currently use the Rakuten Linkshare affiliate network to manage our UK, US & AU programs and the Zanox affiliate network for our newly launched French program.
How to get the most out of it
- Choose the correct niche & apply for affiliate programs that will suit
- Communication is key! We receive so many applications & are constantly speaking to several publishers on a daily basis. Being proactive & building relationships are the fundamentals to succeed as an affiliate
- Maximise the use of imagery, banners & product links to increase the chances of converting customers
- Ensure your content is engaging & attractive
- Don’t be afraid to ask! If you need a banner in a specific size that isn’t available on the network, get in touch with the advertiser. Our affiliates are always asking for extra assets & we’re always more than happy to help
- Sign up to the advertiser newsletters to stay up-to-date with the latest brands & collections
- Have fun! The likelihood is that you created your blog based on a hobby or interest. Being an affiliate is a way of getting rewarded for doing what you love!
Make sure you check out affiliate programs to see how they can benefit your blog!
Feature image: https://static.pexels.com/photos/3061/person-woman-desk-laptop.jpg